web space | website hosting | Web Hosting | Free Website Submission | shopping cart | php hosting



Marla Cardamone, Abortion Death
Drugs meant to kill fetus also killed mother
 Other 1989 Deaths
• Eurice Agbagaa
• Margaret Clodfelter
• Glenda Davis
• Synthia Dennard
• Gladyss Estanislao
• Glenna Jean Fox
• Debra Gray
• Karretu Jabbie
• Catherine Pierce
• Erica Richardson
• Debra Walton
 Explore This Site
  Related Resources
• Abortion Mortality
• Abortion Practice Before Legalization
• Abortionists of the 20th Century
• Safe-n-Legal or Back-Alley Butchery?
• The Truth of Pre-Roe Abortion Mortality
 More on Saline Abortions
• Saline Abortions: Past, Present, Future
• New York Saline Abortion Deaths, 1970-1972
• California Saline Deaths, 1972
• Instillation Deaths After Roe
 More Pennsylvania Deaths
• Gwendolyn Cliett
• Arlin dela Cruz
• Rhonda Rollinson
• Sandra Williams
• Kelly Morse

Suit by survivors of Marla Anne Cardamone, age 18, mother of 1, alleged that Marla became pregnant while on Tegretol and Elavil for depression.

Marla's mother, Deborah Cardamone, commented:

Marla was admitted to Magee Women's Hospital for the abortion August 15, 1989.

Although the urea induction technique was contraindicated due to Marla's medical history, Michael W. Weinberger injected urea into Marla’'s uterus.

Either an error during this injection or some other mishap caused generalized necrosis of Marla’'s uterine wall. The laminaria were also inserted by Weinberger in a manner resulting in septicemia, and massive cortical necrosis of the kidneys.

Marla became ill during the night, with nausea, vomiting, urinary incontinence, and dried blood on her teeth. Her pulse and temperature were severely elevated.

At 6:30 AM the charge nurse contacted a the first of several doctors to treat Marla, but no were cultures taken.

By 7 AM Marla was "increasingly disoriented and speaking inappropriately."

By 7:15, her blood pressure had fallen to 80/40, her pulse had shot up to 144, and she was "unresponsive, grunting loudly, and having seizures."

At 10 AM, intravenous antibiotics were administered. Marla was dead from septicemia at 12:15 PM.

The suit filed by Marla's family noted failure to notify them of her deteriorating condition. Marla's mother and quadriplegic father, who Marla had helped to care for, adopted Marla's child.

The suit faulted the doctor and hospital with performance of a psychiatrically contraindicated abortion, failure to evacuate the dead fetus, administering an overdose of Pitocin, and failure to consult qualified doctors.

Marla's mother adds bitterly:

Sources: Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas Case No. G.D. 91-14565; American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology Vol. 14, No. 2, 1993; Marla's Tragic Death

Previous articles


Cemetery of Choice

RealChoice Blog

Not Just the Unborn

Search this site powered by FreeFind