web space | free hosting | Business Web Hosting | Free Website Submission | shopping cart | php hosting
RealChoice
Countdown to Roe: The Finkbine Abortion, 1962
Romper Room lady aborts Thalidomide baby
 Explore This Site

  Related Resources
• Abortion History
• Abortion Mortality
• Abortion Practice Before Legalization
• Abortionists of the 20th Century
• Back Alley Butchers vs Main Street Maimers
• Barbara Lofrumento, Abortion Death
• Coathanger Abortions vs Safe-n-Legal Abortions
• Gertrude Pinsky, Abortion Death
• Nancy Ward, Abortion Death
• Safe-n-Legal or Back-Alley Butchery?
• The Truth of Pre-Roe Abortion Mortality
 Elsewhere on the Web
• 1962: Abortion mother returns home
• Where Are They Now?
• Thalidomide Survivors Today
• Extrordinary People
• Thalidomide Kids - 30 Years Later
• Thalidomide: 40 Years On
• Sean C. Stephenson
 

Countdown to Roe: 1962

1951 1952 1953 1954 1955
1956 1957 1958 1959 1960
1961 1962 1965 1966 1968
1969 1970 1971 1972 1973

Sherri Finkbine, host of Romper Room, goes to Sweden to abort a baby she suspects has been deformed due to her illegal use of Thalidomide. Sympathy for Finkbine leads to support for the idea of aborting babies who might have birth defects.

Finkbine had originally arranged a quiet, legal abortion to be done in a hospital, but she decided to go public before the abortion, ostensibly to warn other women. How many women Finkbine thought were illegally using Thalidomide remains a mystery.

A BBC article indicates that Finkbine's baby did indeed have disabilities; he was missing his legs and one arm.

Finkbine, then 30, is shown in BBC coverage smiling radiantly as she steps off a plane in London after her abortion.

It's interesting to note that only 20% of the babies born to mothers who took Thalidomide were born with birth defects. But this mere 20% chance of missing or deformed limbs, or other birth defects, was considered to be enough to justify aborting the 80% of thalidomide-exposed fetuses who would not have been affected.

This speaks volumes about our attitudes toward people with disabilities.

Related Links
"I Would Choose My Life" Part 1 2 3 4 5
Missing/Unusual Limbs

Like this link graphic? Click here to learn how to add it to your web page.

Search this site powered by FreeFind