web space | website hosting | Business Hosting | Free Website Submission | shopping cart | php hosting


Biogenetics: Chicago's Notorious Abortion Mill
Biogenetics sounds like horror fiction, but was far too real.
 Explore This Site
  Biogenetics in a Nutshell
• The Death of Brenda Benton
• The Death of Sandra Chmiel
• The Death of Synthia Dennard
• Abortionist Arnold Bickham
• Abortionist David Aberman
• The Death of "Creepy Kenny"
 Illinois Abortion Deaths
• Deanna Bell
• Brenda Benton
• Dorothy Brown
• Sandra Chmiel
• Barbaralee Davis
• Synthia Dennard
• Evelyn Dudley
• Sherry Emry
• Loretta Enders
• Sharon Floyd
• Linda Fondren
• Kathleen Gilbert
• Shelby Moran
• Dorothy Muzorewa
• Sylvia Moore
• Julia Rogers
• Diane Smith
• Magnolia Thomas
• Diane Watson

Note: The current Chicago medical facility named Biogenetics is in no way associated with the now defunct Biogenetics abortion mill. They are a diagnostic facility that doesn't have anything at all to do with abortion. They just failed to research the name's history before slapping it onto their business. Oops.

The original Biogenetics was as seedy an abortion mill as ever opened for business. Owner Kenneth "Creey Kenny" Yellin had originally named it "Women's Medical Facility", but it was closed by the state for licensing violations. Yellin simply re-opened it as Biogenetics and went about his business.

Yellin passed himself off as "Dr. York" at Biogenetics, performing physical examinations on unsuspecting abortion patients. "Dr. York" was accused of battery for squeezing a woman's breasts during an 'examination,'" although for unreported reasons the charges were later dropped.

An undercover investigator at Biogenetics reported that Yellin scolded a recovery room worker, telling her, "We're giving out too many cookies. Cookies cost money." Yellin was this stingy with his cookies even though the patients had been fasting for a day prior to their abortions and were coming into recovery weak and hungry.

Yellin was gunned down in an apparent gangland execution outside his clinic. The media wasted no sympathy on him, instead noting the death with headlines such as "'Creepy Kenny' died in the gutter where he belonged".

Biogenetics employed some seedy characters, both before and after its founder's gruesome death.

Abortionist Arnold Bickham ran Water Tower Reproductive Center, where Sherry Emry underwent her fatal abortion just before New Years Eve of 1977. He also performed the fatal abortion on Sylvia Moore on New Years Eve of 1986. Bickham's behavior at Biogenetics, likewise, was less than stellar, though he seemed to have stopped short of killing any patients there.

Bonnie D. alleged that she underwent an abortion by Bickham at Biogenetics December 6, 1975. She suffered infection, causing her to become "grievously ill to the point of death." She incurred medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The summons for this case was served to Bickham at the Federal Penitentiary in Terre Haute, where he was serving sentence for fraud. (Cook County Circuit Court Case No. 76L 12753)

Seong K. alleged that she underwent an abortion by Bickham and/or Myriam Wilson at Biogenetics on December 10, 1975. She faulted her doctor with failure to properly examine her, failure to obtain an adequate medical history, and improperly performed surgery. She faulted the clinic with employing an unqualified doctor, and failure to consult qualified physicians. She suffered internal and external injury, and endured pain and suffering. (Cook County Circuit Court Case No. 77L 23879)

Bickham's license was revoked in 1970 for performing abortions on women who weren't realy pregnant. He served two years in prison after pleading guilty in 1979 of two counts of defrauding the government. During investigations of allegations of practicing without a license, Bickham's attorney told reporters, "I think he's a bright enough man to not do something illegal." "The Abortion Profiteers" noted that, "Bickham, who submitted $792,000 in Medicaid bills in 1974 -- the highest tab of any physician in the nation -- was barred from the program in 1979 for 'providing grossly inferior care.'"

Bickham's license was revoked for the final time in 1989, following the death of Sylvia Moore. Court records show 23 malpractice suits against him between 1973 and 1988, mostly abortion-related. ("The Abortion Profiteers")

Abortionist David Aberman was likewise no Dr. McDreamy. A news article says that an abortion patient at Biogenetics said of Aberman, "He gave me no anesthesia, not even a local. I had tears running down my cheeks. And right then, right in the middle of performing the abortion, he yelled to the nurse, 'This lady is not pregnant!'" Aberman also reportedly did abortions at Biogenetics after drinking champagne at a lunch time staff birthday party. The same series of articles said that while he was "moonlighting" at Biogenetics, Aberman's name was on Medicaid billings for which Regaldo Florendo's name was on the lab requisition. Aberman allegedly said as a resident, he did abortions at Biogenetics, getting $15 per cash patient and $20 per public aid patient. (The Abortion Profiteers)

Yellin's other abortionists were no better.

Sandra Lynn Chmiel was a pretty young mother of four when she went to Biogenetics for an abortion on June 3, 1975. Even though 35-year-old Sandra was more than 12 weeks pregnant, the Biogenetics doctor chose to ignore the Illinois law that required abortions after 12 weeks to be performed in hospitals. Within hours of her abortion, Sandra had bled to death from a punctured uterus.

Dusan Zivkovic and/or V. Perez performed an abortion on thirty-five-year-old Brenda Benton on March 13, 1987. After she was discharged, Brenda developed fever, chills, and back pain. Brenda returned to Biogenetics to report these symptoms on March 27, and Zivkovic examined Brenda and performed a D&C before transferring her to Martha Washington Hospital. There, Brenda's survivors say, Zivkovic called in other doctors for a consult. They then transferred Brenda to Rush-Presbyterian St. Luke's hospital on April 6. She died there on April 20. Her death was due to infection and "overwhelming septicemia." Brenda's family said that Zivkovic failed to failed to determine that Brenda had had an adverse reaction to drugs he'd given her, and failed to detect and respond to her medical emergency. An expert opinion on the case attributes Brenda's death to inappropriate follow-up, and septicemia leading to fatal complications.

Inno Obasi performed a combination abortion and tubal ligation on twenty-four-year-old Synthia Dennard at Biogenetics on September 7, 1989. Synthia began to hemorrhage during the surgery. A medical investigation later found that Obasi had "failed to summon help in a timely manner; refused to allow trained and skilled paramedics to attend to Synthia; refused to allow paramedics to transport Synthia to a hospital in a timely manner," and otherwise "allowed Synthia to bleed to death." Synthia's survivors had to file a court order to keep the facility from destroying her records. An autopsy revealed that instead of removing a section of Synthia's fallopian tube, Obasi had removed a portion of an artery. The autopsy also revealed that Synthia, mother of two, had not been pregnant at the time of her abortion.

Biogenetics went under at some point after Synthia's death and, thank God, never to my knowledge re-opened.

News Archives

Like this link graphic? Click here to learn how to add it to your web page.

Search this site powered by FreeFind